Spicy pickles are a delicious and easy way to add some heat and flavor to your favorite pickled vegetables. This recipe uses a combination of fresh ingredients and aromatic spices to create a tangy, crunchy, and spicy snack that’s perfect for adding to sandwiches, burgers, or enjoying on their own. With a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you can make this spicy pickles recipe at home and enjoy a tasty and healthy snack anytime.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 lb cucumbers, sliced or cut into spears
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- Fresh dill, optional
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- In a large jar or container, layer the sliced cucumbers and sliced jalapeño peppers.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the vegetables, making sure they’re fully covered.
- Add a few sprigs of fresh dill to the jar if desired.
- Cover the jar with a lid and let the pickles sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours, or until they reach your desired level of pickling and spiciness.
- Once the pickles are ready, store them in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks.
- You can use different types of cucumbers for this recipe, such as English cucumbers or pickling cucumbers.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your liking, depending on how spicy you want the pickles to be.
- You can add other spices or herbs to the pickling liquid, such as bay leaves, thyme, or mustard seeds, to create your own unique flavor profile.
- To make the pickles even crispier, you can add a small amount of grape or oak leaves to the jar before adding the pickling liquid. The tannins in the leaves help to keep the pickles crisp.
In conclusion, this spicy pickles recipe is a simple and easy way to add some heat and flavor to your favorite pickled vegetables. With a combination of fresh ingredients and aromatic spices, this snack is sure to satisfy your cravings for something tangy and spicy. So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself how easy and delicious homemade spicy pickles can be!