Jasmine rice is a type of long-grain rice that is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisine. It has a fragrant aroma and a slightly sticky texture when cooked, making it a versatile and flavorful base for many dishes. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to cook jasmine rice perfectly and suggest some types of protein that pair well with it.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat.
- Add the rinsed rice to the boiling water and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Simmer the rice for 18-20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- To add extra flavor to the rice, you can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water.
- For a healthier option, you can substitute brown jasmine rice for white jasmine rice.
- If you have a rice cooker, you can use it to cook the jasmine rice following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Now that you know how to cook jasmine rice perfectly, let’s explore some types of protein that pair well with it.
- Grilled chicken: The tender and juicy texture of grilled chicken pairs perfectly with the fragrant and slightly sticky jasmine rice. You can marinate the chicken in a spicy or sweet sauce to add extra flavor.
- Stir-fried vegetables: A colorful and flavorful mix of stir-fried vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, and broccoli, is a healthy and tasty addition to jasmine rice. Add some garlic and ginger for an extra kick of flavor.
- Shrimp: The sweet and succulent flavor of shrimp is complemented by the fragrant jasmine rice. You can sauté the shrimp in a spicy sauce for some extra heat.
- Beef stir-fry: Thinly sliced beef stir-fried with vegetables and a flavorful sauce is a classic pairing with jasmine rice. Add some chili flakes for an extra spicy kick.
- Tofu: For a vegetarian option, tofu is a great protein source that pairs well with jasmine rice. You can marinate the tofu in a spicy or sweet sauce before stir-frying it with vegetables.
In conclusion, jasmine rice is a versatile and flavorful base that pairs well with many types of protein. With a few simple steps, you can cook jasmine rice perfectly every time and add your favorite protein and vegetables for a healthy and tasty meal. So why not give this recipe a try and explore the many delicious ways to enjoy jasmine rice!