A spicy mojito is a refreshing and unique twist on the classic cocktail. This cocktail is a combination of rum, fresh lime juice, mint leaves, and a spicy infusion of jalapeño. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a spicy mojito from scratch.
- 2 oz. white rum
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- 1-2 slices of jalapeño
- Mint leaves
- Club soda
Step 1: Gather your ingredients
Before you begin, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients on hand. This recipe calls for white rum, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, jalapeño slices, mint leaves, club soda, and ice.
Step 2: Infuse the jalapeño
To infuse the jalapeño, start by slicing 1-2 jalapeño peppers into thin rounds. Add the slices to a jar or container and cover with white rum. Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes, or up to a few hours for a more intense flavor. Strain the rum through a fine mesh strainer to remove the jalapeño slices.
Step 3: Muddle the mint leaves
Muddle 6-8 fresh mint leaves in the bottom of a highball glass. This helps release the oils and flavors of the mint and adds an aromatic quality to the cocktail.
Step 4: Add ice
Fill the glass with ice. This will help keep the cocktail cold and refreshing.
Step 5: Add the jalapeño-infused rum
Next, add 2 oz. of jalapeño-infused white rum to the glass. You can use any brand of white rum you like, but we recommend using a high-quality brand for the best results.
Step 6: Squeeze in the lime juice
Squeeze fresh lime juice into the glass. You’ll need about 1 oz. of lime juice for this recipe. If you prefer a more tart cocktail, you can add more lime juice to taste.
Step 7: Sweeten with simple syrup
Add 1 oz. of simple syrup to the glass. This will sweeten the cocktail and balance out the tartness of the lime juice.
Step 8: Add club soda
Finally, top the cocktail with club soda. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
Step 9: Garnish and serve
Garnish the cocktail with a sprig of fresh mint leaves and a slice of jalapeño, if desired. Serve the spicy mojito immediately and enjoy!
Tips for making the perfect spicy mojito:
- Infuse your rum: Infusing your white rum with jalapeño adds an extra layer of flavor and heat to the cocktail. You can also experiment with other peppers or herbs for a unique twist.
- Use fresh ingredients: For the best flavor, use fresh lime juice and simple syrup. Bottled juices and syrups can be used in a pinch, but fresh is always best.
- Adjust the spice level: If you like your cocktails extra spicy, you can add more jalapeño slices or even muddle them in the glass before adding the other ingredients. If you prefer a milder flavor, use less jalapeño.
- Use fresh mint: Fresh mint leaves add an aromatic quality to the cocktail and help balance out the heat of the jalapeño.
- Don’t forget the ice: Adding ice to your glass helps keep the cocktail cold and refreshing. If you’re serving your spicy mojitos outside on a hot day, consider using extra ice to keep them cool.
- Experiment with the garnishes: While a sprig of fresh mint and a slice of jalapeño are traditional garnishes for a spicy mojito, you can also get creative and add things like cucumber slices, lime wedges, or even a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Make it a mocktail: If you don’t drink alcohol or want to serve this cocktail to a non-alcoholic crowd, you can easily make a spicy mojito mocktail by omitting the rum and using ginger ale or sparkling water instead of club soda.
- Overall, making a spicy mojito is a simple and rewarding process. With a few basic ingredients and some creative touches, you can create a delicious and refreshing cocktail that’s perfect for any occasion. So why not give it a try and see for yourself? Cheers!